The Creature Garden: An Illustrator's Guide to Beautiful Beasts & Fictional Fauna
Husband-and-wife illustrator team Harry and Zanna Goldhawk, the founders of Papio Press, teach you how to make vibrant paintings of these beautiful beasts and fictional fauna:
- Mammals, including big cats, wolves, sloths, and red pandas
- Marine life, including whales, sea dragons, narwhals, and giant Pacific octopi
- Birds, including peacocks, cranes, owls, and flamingos
- Insects, including butterflies, moths, bumblebees, and damselflies
- Mythical creatures, including mermaids, unicorns, dragons, phoenixes, centaurs, and hippogriffs
- And more!
The Creature Garden begins with the basics, first instructing you on which tools to use, how to create patterns, the importance of keeping a sketchbook, and even avoiding comparison with other artists. The book then navigates through each illustration in a step-by-step manner that is manageable and easy to understand. Each project carefully guides you through each phase of the artistic process, from creating an outline to adding a realistic animal pattern.
You’ll also learn how to draw botanical patterns from different environments—the garden, forest, jungle, and ocean—that enable you to surround your animal drawings with a natural environment.
Full of lush warmth and fairy-tale wonder, The Creature Garden is a wonderful addition to the repertoire of both seasoned artists and novices alike.
We Also Recommend
From Garden to Glass: 80 Botanical Beverages Made from the Finest Fruits, Cordials, and Infusions